You just don't get it, Dad."

"You just don't get it, Dad."

We were riding to school and I made a comment about something that to me is self-evident.  So obvious you'd have to be inhuman not to notice.  Dare I say ignorant to not agree with.  But I forgot just one thing...I'm a dad and my daughter is 14.  Translated: "I don't get it."

I've heard of other teens saying this to their parents.  I don't remember saying it to mine, but I remember thinking it.  I wondered if I would be able to avoid this phase as a parent.  I wondered if I could be that rare dad that relates at such a unique level in such a relevant way that I would sidestep the scourge of adolescent chastisement.  Nope.  "I don't get it."

(Kami just walked in and told me a story about school today.  After she explained something to me that frustrated her about the day, she said, "It's such a joke."  Yet another classic pubescent sentiment.)

It's weird to begin to feel "written off" as your daughters test their wobbly independence--to feel you could be "a joke" to them on certain days when you "just don't get it".

I never thought I'd be that dad, but alas, I am.

Sincerely,

Dad the Dinosaur



Comments

Popular Posts